...is the project of Prague-based musician, singer, producer and composer Tamara Shmidt (UA/CZ). Although she studied classical piano, singing and choral conducting, she made her mark in the Czech electronic music scene. Her music is an ethereal mixture of soft vocals, synthesizer and musical experiments, a dreamy mix full of fresh and refreshing sounds. Tamara’s compositions stand out because of her holistic approach, which contributes to the overall authenticity of her expression.
Awali started as a band in Spring 2013 in collaboration with DJ Aitcher Clark.
We made official soundtracks for the Prague Cannafest: years 2013, 2014 and 2015.
May 2014: released EP Breadcrumbs
Dec 2014: Musiczone.cz - http://www.musiczone.cz/rozhovor-316/awali-momentalne-oba-makame-od-nevidim-do-nevidim
- Quote: "Awali are one of the bright discoveries of this year, at least for anyone who likes electronic music, in this case it's softer, quieter and sophisticated side."
Dec 2014: http://www.muzikus.cz/novinky/Audiotip-Awali-potesi-zasnene-i-naruzive~04~prosinec~2014/
Feb 2015: released the album Between Significant
Feb 2015 - http://www.sgrgldr.com/2015/03/01/awali-between-significant-lp/ -
- Quote: "Awali‘s debut album Between Significant is such a jewel. It simply gives you shivers, mostly painful ones. Based on a relatively pure concept – a piano and vocals, occasionally accompanied by a cello and distant samples – the twelve tracks push the boundaries of psychological effects a record may have on a listener, evoking strong visual imaginations of dreamy sceneries and encounters that never took place. It’s so powerful the plastic bag of American Beauty would be dying for such a soundtrack."
Mar 2015 - http://www.muzikus.cz/novinky/Debut-Awali-je-poklonou-vsem-naladam-a-spontannim-napadum~08~brezen~2015/
- Quote: "..it's not an ordinary case for the Czech scene, it reminds us about less emphasized modern classics or soberly minimalist electronics, triphop, where occasionally appears delicate voice of Tamara Schmidt."
Apr 2015: Awali were opening act for Snow Ghosts at the Prague Festival Euroconnections.
Apr 2015: http://www.fullmoonzine.cz/clanky/smutenky-podle-snow-ghosts
- Quote: "with their mix of electronica, contemporary classical music and dreamy pop they proved to be a right choice as the the support act. No wonder Awali is called one of the biggest names from the smallest category (the alternative music) of the domestic scene."
Apr 2015: http://www.fullmoonzine.cz/clanky/kdykoliv-je-cas-skladame-awali -
May 2015 - http://www.muzikus.cz/publicistika/Czech-it-Awali~04~kveten~2015/
- Quote: "..this way Awali are artfully balancing somewhere between mental nutritious food for intellectuals and pleasant soundtrack for a lazy rainy afternoon.."
May 2015: Awali released single Giselle
18 Jun 2015 - United Islands of Prague Festival - Awali played for the Club night - http://unitedislands.cz/35-dni-do-35-ceskych-objevu-pro-klubovou-noc-praguelovesmusic/
- Quote: "Right on first hearing it is musically exceptional project with the global sound. Ambient electronics that will caress. Amazing vocals."
Project Awali was nominated for the contest Czeching 2015
Since November 2015 Awali is a solo-project of Tamara Sofia Shmidt.
16 Sep 2016 - release of the album White Silence
Sep 2017 - release of the SP Once When
Quote (cz): “…hraje prim intimní atmosféra nočního snění. Jako kdyby tvůrčí ego Tamary Shmidt prožívalo náměsíční dvouminutovku, neboť stejně znenadání, jako se melodie “Once When” objeví, zase zmizí. Soundtrack ke snu, kterému se podařilo projít branou reality…“ - http://kultmix.cz/track-tip-awali-once-when/
29 Aug, 2017 - Track ‘Once When‘ topped cz-sk music chart Velka Sedma at Radio 1
Quote (cz): “…Hudba, která z paralelních světů kolem nás klade posluchači velmi znepokojivé otázky, ale umí i pohladit po duši…“ http://www.echoes-zine.cz/recenze/awali-ad-astra
Oct 2017 - release of the SP Astras on Krmelec Recordings
30 Jan 2018 - release of the album AD ASTRA on XION label (Prague, CZ) at Cafe Time (PRG, cz)
12 Feb 2018 - Free Mondays show at Roxy Prague with Annelie (SWE)
22 Mar 2018 - show at Atrium Zizkov (cz), festival Zizkovska Noc
26 Mar 2018 - show at the exhibition opening at Pracovna (cz) for Linda Ciharova
13 Apr 2018 - show at KC Kastan (cz) with Ivana Mer (SK)
12 May 2018 - show at Kavarna Potrva with Laoba (CZ)
31 May 2018 - show at Nova Galerie with Viktor Chomiak (CZ)
15 Jun 2018 - show at Slovak Radio Building, live stream, radio Devin
23 Jun 2018 - show at Souterrain, Prague with Matthew Carr
16 Jul 2018 - show at the contest Electronic Mission at Czech Music Crossroads (by Colours of Ostrava)
Song “Whales” from the album Ad Astra is featured on “La Danse Macabre 4” by German Indie label At Sea Compilations
11 Aug 2018 - show with Matt Pardus at Prague Pride
11 Aug 2018 - show at Bino Festival feat. Sonority aka Jan Hanak
8 Sep 2018 - show at festival Fiskulet (Tabor)
23 Sep 2018 - show at the festival Female is the Future at FUGA (Bratislava) with Ivana Mer and Nina Rosa (SK)
4 Oct 2018 - release of SP Through Love from the upcoming album Embodied
4 Oct 2018 - show at Veletrzni Palac-Studio Hrdinu NG (Prague) - opening act for the international Lunchmeat 2018 festival
10 Oct 2018 - show at NoD (Roxy Prague) with Lilly Among Clouds (DE)
phone +420 773 969 872,